If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a delicious and very hearty, healthy spin on some Southern classics. This recipe can be made with mostly local, in season food as well. I love soul food, and I refuse to give it up, so I just make it healthier than the standard preparations! - JenniferWildeboer
Serves three to four people
- 2 bunches kale
- 1 or 2 Ripe heirloom tomatoes
- Several potatoes, as many as you want to eat, choose purple for a nice color
- 1 medium sweet onion, preferably Vidalia
- 1 block organic tofu
- Dash of liquid smoke
- vegan worcestershire sauce
- Bragg's liquid aminos
- apple cider vinegar
- Honey or agave syrup
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- I don’t measure things, so that may irritate you. Clean and slice the potatoes into rounds, put olive oil on a pan and baked them at 400 degrees for about 22 minutes with salt and pepper on them.
- While they cook, prep the tofu by cutting it into thin slices about one inch wide, two inches long, and a quarter of an inch thick. You can marinate this in soy sauce, Worcestershire, and a tiny dash of liquid smoke while you work on the next step.
- Clean and chop the kale, coarsely chop the onion and cut the tomatoes into chunks. Sautée the onion and garlic in some olive oil over medium-high heat. Once they start to become clear, add the kale, pour in some premade all natural vegetable broth, cider vinegar, soy sauce, liquid smoke, and Worcestershire sauce to taste. Cover the pan and let it cook until the kale gets as tender as you prefer it, right before it is finished, put in the tomatoes so that they aren't overcooked.
- . While that cooks, pan fry the tofu in just a little olive oil and the liquid from the marinade. Cooked it until it browns on both sides, all the liquid evaporates, and the tofu is partially dried out. The marinate will reduce some. You can reserve this and top the dish with it.
- To serve, plate with the potatoes on the bottom, the kale in the middle and the tofu on the top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes