Author Notes: I can't resist heirloom tomatoes this time of year. They are so delicious in their natural form. Sweet, tart, nice acidity, perfection. Why mess with something so perfect on its own. Well I think mozzarella and basil could of very well been created to go in perfect harmony with the tomato. The tomato lady informed me these were the first of the tiger striped tomatoes this season. The mozzarella guy gave me the freshest most delicious homemade ball of creamy goodness to accompany my tomatoes. Perfect. - Nicole Franzen
- 1 bushel of assorted heirloom tomatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 fresh ball of mozzarella
- 1 baguette
- 1 clove of garlic
- olive oil
- sea salt
- Slice baguette into 1/4 inch slices. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Place under the broiler, watching closely until browning occurs then flip. Until both sides are nice and lightly toasted. Rub with a raw clove of garlic.
- Take a few leaves of basil and place on the crostini, then add sliced mozzarella and tomatoes. Drizzle a little extra olive oil, and top with sea salt. That simple and super delish. Great crowd pleaser or perfect snack.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes