Author Notes: I made this recipe up when I had to use the last of my Heirloom Tomatoes and the rest of my heirloom salad that was approaching a week. The flavors married very well and created quite a rustic dish, that blooms on so many levels.Very tasty, hearty and crowd pleasing! - PegLawrence
Chicken Cilantro Sausage with Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes
- 4-5 Heirloom Tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 5-6 Cilantro Chicken Sausage Links
- 4 sprigs basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flake
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- . Cut tomatoes in halves then quarter, put in a large bowl, add peeled garlic.
- Pour about 1 Tbsp. of Olive Oil all over the tomatoes and garlic.
- . Have baking sheet either covered in foil or parchment paper.
- Place tomatoes on baking sheet seed side down and also place garlic on sheet.
- Roast appx. 30 minutes.
- . Let set for a few minutes and pinch outer skin off of tomatoes.
- Lightly grease a covered casserole dish.
- Put sausage links in casserole dish, add roasted tomatoes and garlic, basil leaves, red pepper flake, cover and put back in oven.
- Cook covered for additional hour.
Sauteed Kale with Penne Pasta
- 1 packet Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
- 1 bunch Lacinato Kale (heartier)
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 large shallot sliced
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Heirloom Salad pureed (lime, cilantro and olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flake
- dashes Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 handful Parmesan Shredded
- 1 handful Basil chopped
- Clean Kale leaves and remove stems.
- Chop Kale on a diagonal in ½” strips.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and garlic.
- Add Kale and begin sautéing, mixing well for appx. 4 minutes.
- Add pureed tomatoes, shallots, salt and pepper to taste, stir well.
- Add pureed tomatoes, shallots, basil, salt and pepper to taste, stir well.
- Cook penne and drain while kale is cooking.
- Put the pasta in large serving bowl, pour kale mixture over penne and toss together.
- Put sausage and roasted tomatoes on top; sprinkle with grated parmesan and voila!
- Special Note:I would think if you did not have leftover salad to puree a vegetable stock would work but I would spice it a little with some dried cilantro and maybe a splash of lime. The Lacinato Kale is a little heartier but others should work as well.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes