If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I saw a picture of a tomato tart in Gourmet magazine sometime around 1986. I cut it out and made the tart all one summer and then I lost the page. So I tried to make in on my own by remembering a few basics but adding lots of other herbs and changing things. The picture is still in my mind and I always know what it is supposed to look like. I finally wrote down the ingredients and method that I have developed since I first started making the tart. I make this every summer when the tomatoes are sweet and ripe and fresh from my garden. - themissingingredient
Serves one 11 inch tart
- 3 1/2 lbs heirloom tomatoes
- 1 cup packed basil
- 1 tbs tarragon leaves
- 1 cup low fat ricotta
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 lb mozzarella, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 1 tbs cream
- 3 tbs olive oil
- extra basil and tarragon for garnish.
- tart crust, make your favorite, enough for an 11 inch tart
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices
- Sprinkle the slices with salt and leave to drain in a colander over a bowl for 30 minutes then blot dry.
- In a food processer or blender put the basil, tarragon, ricotta, eggs, mozzarella, cream and parmesan and blend until smooth (it will look like guacamole.
- Blind bake the crust for about 10 minutes (in a tart pan with a removable bottom. Cool.
- To assemble: Start with a layer of the cheese mixture and spread a thin layer on the bottom of the tart.
- Next arrange a layer of tomatoes. then a layer of mix, then tomatoes, ending with a top layer of tomatoes.
- Drizzle the top with olive oil.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until the mixture is set and cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Cool and garnish with basil.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.