Author Notes: When I was little my mom would make this when she had tortillas that were a little bit dried out and it remains one of our family's favorites. Now with high quality tortilla chips it's a fast meal, too. - MaSaBeMama
- 1 Bag Tortilla Chips made from real tortillas (not Doritos-style)
- 8 Eggs
- 8 ounces grated cheese that melts well (jack, mozzarella, brick)
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Olive Oil for Pan
- Pour tomato sauce into medium sauce pan and dilute with 1 cup water. Add chopped onion, garlic and oregano and simmer together while preparing tortillas and eggs.
- In wok shaped pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat and add tortilla chips. Toss chips until lightly coated with oil and hot. Reduce heat to medium.
- Clear a space on the bottom of the pan, and break an egg into the space. Let it set a bit, then stir and toss within the tortilla chips. Repeat with all eggs. More oil may be needed - add sparingly.
- When all eggs are set and mixed with tortillas, pour tomato sauce over tortillas and toss quickly to coat tortillas.
- When all tortillas are coated with sauce and steaming, add grated cheese and toss. It will melt on contact. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brunch Eggs