Author Notes: This recipe is for one of the desserts depicted in the film "Chocolat." We have included it in our book (available by the end of this month) "Cooking with the Movies: Meals on Reels." - Anthony Chiffolo
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cloves, whole
- 2 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 whole nutmeg "nut"
- 12 small red plums, pitted, skins removed
- dark chocolate for grating
- fresh cream
- Combine all ingredients except the plums, chocolate, and cream, in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat until the sauce begins to thicken; remove the whole spices, add the plums, and simmer until tender.
- Grate the chocolate over the plums and serve with fresh cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Plums