Author Notes: In memory of Helen. - energy - energy
Food52 Review: Simple and delicious, even better for breakfast the next day! This cake is moist, chewy, not too sweet and perfect alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The lemon zest perks it up to the point of perfection and the sugar and cinnamon sprinkled over the top adds just a touch of sweetness. - Kaitlyn - A&M
- 6 plums (variety of your choice)
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour (or can use all purpose)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons white sugar, additional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Halve plums, remove pits and dice (keep skin on). In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a stand mixer or by hand, cream the butter and 3/4 cup sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well, then the vanilla and lemon zest. Stir in the diced plums and then the flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour batter into a greased baking dish. Bake in the centre of the oven 30-40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Meanwhile combine the additional sugar and cinnamon.
- Remove cake from oven, dust with the cinnamon sugar and allow to cool. Serve as is or with custard or butterscotch sauce!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Plums