Author Notes: After reading Mark Bittman's "Food Matters" my husband and I decided to try the "vegan until 6:00 PM" way of eating. While trying to come up with hearty vegan lunches I developed this sandwich. I must confess that sometimes I add a sprinkling of feta cheese which follows the spirit, if not the letter, of the law. I have made the cheese optional for a truly vegan sandwich. Making fresh dressing is really key to the brightness of the flavors. - TheNostalgicBaker
Greek Salad Sandwich
- 4 8 to 10-inch whole wheat tortillas (preservative free)
- 1 cup plain or garlic hummus
- 8 slices fresh tomato
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 hearts of Romaine lettuce, coursely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, coursely chopped
- 2 ounces goat's milk feta, crumbled (optional)
- Lemon Vinaigrette
- Prep all the ingredients. Toss Romaine with vinaigrette.
- Heat a 10" skillet or griddle over medium heat. Warm the tortillas until soft, 5 to 10 seconds a side.
- Spread a 1/4 cup hummus on each tortilla. Divide the remaining ingredient equally among the tortillas in the following order; tomatoes, cucumbers, salad, olives and feta if using.
- Roll up sandwich and eat!
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small glove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place lemon juice in a bowl with salt and pepper. Whisk until salt is dissolved.
- While continually whisking, pour olive oil in a slow stream until fully incorporated.
- Whisk in garlic and capers.