If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After trying so hard to get a chocolate walnut kuchen to work, I am setting that aside for now. Meanwhile I had a wonderful organic French baguette go stale. And I found these beautiful large sugar beet black plums at the market. So I envisioned a mudpuddle-wonderful bread pudding with cream, buttermilk and chocolate for these plums. Adding the spices of saffron and sumac, nutmeg, a dash of cinnamon, Sapa (http://www.nudo-italia.com/products/51?category=4) and some bourbon, this comes together quickly. The exotic spices accentuate the juicy tartness of the plums luridly. For a special occasion you could pour an extra shot of bourbon on to this and add your favorite chocolate sauce with whipped cream or ice cream. It is comfort food taken to the next level, approaching nirvana. - Sagegreen
- 1 1/2 cups black plums, diced
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg, ground fresh
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1 1/2 cups stale baguette, torn up and cubed
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dutch cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 tablespoon Sapa, optional
- 1/8 cup toasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 2 pats of unsalted butter
- sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg, fresh ground
- butter or oil spray for baking dish
- chocolate sauce, bourbon, ice cream, powdered sugar, and/or whipped cream for final serving touches
- sprinkle with your favorite spice for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter or oil a baking dish (@10-12", at least 1 1/2" deep)
- Sugar the plums by adding the brown sugar to them;add the saffron, sumac, plus a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg to them; let them sit.
- Beat the egg and then add the cream and buttermilk. Whisk together. Add the cane sugar.
- Whisk in the cocoa. Next add the remaining flavorings.
- Pour the liquid over the bread cubes.
- Add the sugared, spiced plums to the mix.
- Pour the mix in to the prepared baking dish.
- Mix the almonds together with the butter pats and the demerara sugar (or this can be cane sugar). Add as a topping before baking. Bake @25 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool, but while still warm, serve with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, your favorite chocolate sauce, and an additional shot of bourbon for special occasions. Read the Balloonman, smile, and enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Plums