If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Thanks to aargesi I had some wonderful fresh pecorino leftover along with an organic stale baguette. So with some fresh rosemary I set out to make a savory bread pudding. I think it is scrumptious. The pecorino toscano is a gentle cheese with its savory flavor that complements the roasted beets accentuated further by aromatic fresh rosemary. In the summer this can be made with fresh black plums, but in the winter leftover roasted beets are perfect. - Sagegreen
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup organic whole milk
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh tender rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon white wine, pinot grigio
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups baguette, chopped and cubed
- 2/3-1 cups fresh pecorino toscano, grated
- 1 cup cubed roasted beets dressed in a mix of tarragon vinegar, with a bit of honey and a few drops of white truffle oil
- sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup carmelized yellow onions
- sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan
- sprigs of rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the milk, cream, and buttermilk.
- Add the beaten egg and wine and whisk. Add the pepper, salt, and rosemary.
- Toss the bread cubes together with the cubed roasted, dressed beets and caramelized onions. Add these to a buttered baking dish (@10-12 inches by 2 inches deep).Gently add in the grated pecorino. Pour the liquid mixture over this.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and parmesan. Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with sprigs of fresh rosemary and a glass of pinot noir.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Plums
Recipe of the Day
Strawberry, Rhubarb, and Lime Popsicles
Shop Spring Cleaning
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
An out of the blue use for a mason jar.
Simple, Springy Leek Soup