Author Notes: I love the combination of plums and herbs. I’ve worked with thyme (see my Grilled Pluot recipe with Lemon-Thyme Shortcakes and Honey-Thyme Caramel Sauce) but I love sage. I love the way plums are strong enough in flavor to stand up to the sage and make such a lovely combination. Add the honey and you have a nice little trio singing in harmony together with all the individual flavors coming through. I added some blackberries to really get that full summer richness since my plums weren’t as ripe and juicy as I wanted, and finished it off with a dollop of Plum Brandy. If you’re working with completely ripe plums, the blackberries are likely not needed. - ChezSuzanne - TheWimpyVegetarian
Food52 Review: I had exceptional wild plums, wild blackberries and honey from wild blackberries to make this with so the flavors just exploded in our mouths. When I tasted this right from the ice cream maker, I thought the sage was pretty predominant, but a day and a half later it had become a mysterious flavor thread that intrigued everyone. Make this and be grateful for creative cooks like ChezSuzanne! – Amber Olson - A&M
Serves 1 quart
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bunch of fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped (about 20 leaves)
- 1 pound black plums, pitted and cut into large chunks
- 1 handful fresh blackberries (about 10) (optional: see headnote)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup honey (I used blackberry honey, but other flavors likely work too)
- 1 tablespoon Plum Brandy (you can substitute Crème de Cassis with great results.)
- Bring the cream, milk and salt to a soft simmer in a small pot. Add the sage leaves and continue to simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let steep for about 20 minutes while you make the plum base. Strain out the sage leaves.
- Put the plums, blackberries, water, sugar and lemon juice in a small pot over medium-low heat. Simmer until the plums collapse into a sauce. This took me about 15 minutes. Pour it all into a blender and puree. Strain out the plum skins and blackberry seeds.
- Pour the plum-blackberry puree into the sage cream and stir in the honey. Add the plum brandy or Crème de Cassis at the end.
- Chill for at least 4 hours. Process in your ice cream maker.
- Go sit in the shade under a tree and enjoy the flavors of summer.