If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love the combination of plums and herbs. I’ve worked with thyme (see my Grilled Pluot recipe with Lemon-Thyme Shortcakes and Honey-Thyme Caramel Sauce) but I love sage. I love the way plums are strong enough in flavor to stand up to the sage and make such a lovely combination. Add the honey and you have a nice little trio singing in harmony together with all the individual flavors coming through. I added some blackberries to really get that full summer richness since my plums weren’t as ripe and juicy as I wanted, and finished it off with a dollop of Plum Brandy. If you’re working with completely ripe plums, the blackberries are likely not needed. - ChezSuzanne —TheWimpyVegetarian
Food52 Review: I had exceptional wild plums, wild blackberries and honey from wild blackberries to make this with so the flavors just exploded in our mouths. When I tasted this right from the ice cream maker, I thought the sage was pretty predominant, but a day and a half later it had become a mysterious flavor thread that intrigued everyone. Make this and be grateful for creative cooks like ChezSuzanne! – Amber Olson —The Editors
Serves 1 quart
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bunch of fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped (about 20 leaves)
- 1 pound black plums, pitted and cut into large chunks
- 1 handful fresh blackberries (about 10) (optional: see headnote)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup honey (I used blackberry honey, but other flavors likely work too)
- 1 tablespoon Plum Brandy (you can substitute Crème de Cassis with great results.)
- Bring the cream, milk and salt to a soft simmer in a small pot. Add the sage leaves and continue to simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let steep for about 20 minutes while you make the plum base. Strain out the sage leaves.
- Put the plums, blackberries, water, sugar and lemon juice in a small pot over medium-low heat. Simmer until the plums collapse into a sauce. This took me about 15 minutes. Pour it all into a blender and puree. Strain out the plum skins and blackberry seeds.
- Pour the plum-blackberry puree into the sage cream and stir in the honey. Add the plum brandy or Crème de Cassis at the end.
- Chill for at least 4 hours. Process in your ice cream maker.
- Go sit in the shade under a tree and enjoy the flavors of summer.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Plums
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.