Author Notes: The inspiration for this recipe came from a local restaurant which featured "grilled vegetable eggs Benedict" on it's summer special menu. I thought it was a terrific idea, essentially a healthy twist to the classic eggs Benedict, this version is loaded with fresh vegetables and topped with salsa rather than artery-clogging hollandaise. I recreated the recipe at home and now make it all the time for brunch. Also, I use a mild store-bought salsa but any type of would be great - use spicy if that's what you prefer. - JackieK
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8-10 mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 whole wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 1/4 cup salsa
- To cook the vegetables: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan set over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the red pepper, zucchini and yellow squash. Cook for five minutes, stirring every minute. Add the mushrooms and cook until all the vegetables are cooked through and lightly caramelized but not mushy, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
- To poach the eggs: Bring a large pot of water to a simmer and hold at 200°F (medium heat). Add the vinegar. Crack an egg into a small bowl making sure the yolk remains whole, then gently pour the egg into the simmering water and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add remaining eggs one at a time. Once cooked to desired doneness (3 minutes for very runny yolk, 5 minutes for almost solid yolk) remove the egg with a slotted spoon and trim any scraggly edges.
- To assemble the vegetable eggs Benedict set a split and toasted English muffin on each of two plates. Top with a generous serving of sauteed vegetables, followed by a poached egg, and then finally a tablespoon of salsa. Serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brunch Eggs