Author Notes: Confession time...I can eat turkey leftovers for a week without getting sick of them. That being said, in the days leading up to Thanksgiving I do not eat any chicken or turkey. So I am good and ready for that Turkey and all of the yummy Thanksgiving leftover recipes I can throw together.
Most of my friends, and my husband, are the opposite. They can only stomach turkey leftovers for a couple of days before they are ready to throw in the towel and throw out the bird. - MyMansBelly - MyMansBelly
Food52 Review: These are beautifully seasoned, moist, flavorful meatballs. The pomegranate sauce adds a subtle sweet and sour tang. My husband liked them very much and immediately asked me to make them again. If by some chance there are any leftovers to refrigerate, rejoice because they are even more amazingly delicious the next day. The herb and lemon flavors blend perfectly with the onion, garlic, pomegranate juice and lamb drippings. - AppleAnnie - A&M
- 1 pound Ground Lamb
- 1/2 Medium Size Yellow Onion (grated)
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Crackers* (ground)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Rosemary (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel Seed (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Pomegranate Arils
- 1 1/2 cup Unsweetened Pomegranate Juice
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.
- In a saucepan add pomegranate juice, brown sugar and cinnamon. Over medium high heat, reduce the juice to 1/2 cup. This should take roughly 20 minutes. When done, set sauce aside.
- Using the olive oil, oil the bottom and sides of an 8"x8" baking pan and set aside.
- Place the ground lamb in a bowl and add the onion, egg, crackers, rosemary, lemon juice, fennel seed, salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix thoroughly. Once mixed, form the meatballs into 1 1/2" - 2" balls. Place them into the oiled baking pan.
- Roast meatballs, in oven, for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and brush on 2 coats of the pomegranate sauce. Put back into oven and roast for an additional 15 minutes (the meatballs will be cooked to a medium doneness).
- Remove from oven and serve meatballs over orzo pasta. Drizzle with pomegranate sauce and sprinkle with pomegranate arils.
- *I used whole wheat cocktail crackers. Any cracker that is not buttery or a woven wheat cracker should work well in this recipe.