If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm trying to eat more whole grains as a center of a meal. My stepdaughter was also recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease so I am experimenting with gluten free ingredients. Farro, also known as spelt, is hearty, satisfying and gluten free. Feel free to be creative with the vegetables. You might see from the photo that I tossed in a little sauteed zucchini that was left over from the night before. - TheNostalgicBaker
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 1/2 cups Farro (spelt)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 8 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 quart grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans (or 1 15-oz can, drained & rinsed)
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, quartered
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, combine 4 cups of water with the farro. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the farro is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and simmer until the farro is tender, about 10 minutes longer. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and stir. Cook for 4 minutes. Transfer the cooked green beans to a bowl of ice water. Drain and dry the green beans.
- While the farro is cooling make the vinaigrette. Place vinegars and salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk until salt has dissolved. Add mustard and sugar and whisk to combine. Pour the oil in a slow stream into the bowl, whisking continually until the oil is incorporated.
- Once the farro has cooled add the remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, toss thoroughly and season to taste with salt and pepper.