Author Notes: This recipe is adapted from a recipe in Gourmet July, 2009. It is absolutely delicious and hard to stop eating. The original recipe calls for 2 Tb of oil for the dressing and 2 Tb of butter for sauteeing the scallions and corn. It also calls for 3/4 tsp of salt for the dressing. All this is not necessary as well as not healthful. The sweetness of the corn and tomatoes with a pinch of salt speak for themselves. - ellenl
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 pound tomatoes (heirloom) in bite-sized chunks
- 1 bunch scallions-chopped, keep white and green parts separate
- a little Smart Balance
- 4 cups corn kernels (from about 4 ears)
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp pepper. Toss cut tomatoes with dressing.
- While the tomatoes are marinating, saute the white parts of the scallions in a little smart balance with a pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper in a skillet over medium-high heat until golden (about 4 mins.)
- Add corn and saute until just tender (about 5 mins.)
- Add corn to tomatoes, add scallion greens and toss. Also wonderful with additional herbs.