If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad is pure summer. With the addition of shrimp, I serve it as a main course salad. To keep the bacon from splattering, cook it over low heat. It may take longer, but the mess is minimal to none.
Serves 4 as a main course
- 6 slices applewood smoked bacon
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- juice from 1 large lime
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 large ears corn, shucked
- 2 cups mixed red and yellow cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 bunch arugula, tough stems removed, thoroughly washed and dried
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- kosher salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, or more as you like
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- extra virgin olive oil, as necessary
- Spanish smoked paprika or Hungarian sweet paprika for liberal dusting
- kosher salt, to taste
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat.
- Cook the bacon in a heavy fry pan over low heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon and set aside. Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings. Save the rest for another use.
- In the same pan, over medium heat, add the minced garlic and cook for a couple of minutes, being careful not to let it burn. Add the cider vinegar and cook another few minutes or until slightly syrupy. Add the sugar and continue cooking another minute. Add the lime juice and drizzle in the olive oil. Whisk to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Grill the corn over the hottest part of the fire, turning occasionally, until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool. Remove the kernels from the cob by standing on the flat end of the cob and sliding a sharp knife underneath the corn kernels. This is easily done in a bowl. Discard the cobs. To the corn, add the tomatoes, arugula, cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Toss the shrimp with just enough olive oil to coat, then sprinkle liberally with paprika and a little salt. Cook over medium-high heat in a non-stick fry pan, turning once, just until done, about 3 or so minutes. Do not overcook or the shrimp will be tough.
- To assemble the salad, toss the corn mixture with the vinaigrette, adding a bit of olive oil if the mixture seems too dry. Divide equally among 4 large plates or bowls. Top with shrimp, crumbled bacon and feta cheese. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn Recipe
Make Fruit Caramel
A case for blending your plums
Blend your plums—seriously.
Burnt Toast: Episode 11
It's time to travel.
You need to make this Indian spice mix.
Off to market.