Author Notes: This recipe is very easy and versatile. It is a great side dish or a hearty midweek dinner. Spinach is used in this recipe, however combinations of any leftover greens in the fridge works great. I usually blanch kale, mustard greens, or swiss chard before adding. Leftover chicken or pork frequently finds its way into this dish as well. - bill
- 1 anchovie filet
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 pieces cloves minced garlic
- 80 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 cups cannellini beans
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup grated romano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add olive oil and anchovie filet to large soup or stew pot over medium heat.
- Add onion when filet appears "melted". Saute until soft, add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Begin adding greens in batches, stirring and adding more as the greens wilt. Salt and pepper to taste, add nutmeg.
- Add beans to greens and stir in well. Mash a few beans with the back of spoon to thicken.
- Add cream and grated cheese, cooking until creamy texture.
- Serve hot as side dish or as a main course.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Way to Cook Greens