If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: CORN ON THE COB BUT OFF THE COB I started with the premise that summer corn is so sweet that it would make good ice cream (wierd but probably not horrible tasting). So, I worked on cream, sugar, egg and butter ratios until I came up with this recipe which is surprisingly smooth and sweet without being cloyingly sweet. I hope that you like my version. I tried to keep it smooth, simple and rich...and the color...it is like yellow cashmere! - dymnyno
(shown with a dollop of red pepper jelly) —dymnyno
Food52 Review: This ice cream is a good one for beginners to tackle -- it's a relatively simple, basic process, elevated by a seriously cool concept. I ended up steeping the corn and cobs in the milk mixture for about an hour, which, together with a pinch of salt, yielded a very corn-y flavor. I enjoyed this most when I topped it with a smidge of maple syrup -- the perfect foil for the buttery, rich corn flavor of the ice cream. - queenie_nyc —The Editors
Serves about a quart
- 2 ears YELLOW corn
- 2 cups milk( I used non fat)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup sugar (ultrafine)
- 4 egg yolks(large)
- 4 tbs clarified butter
- Cut the kernels from the cobs.
- Put the kernels and the cobs in a large pot.
- Add the milk, cream and sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn off the heat and let the mixture infuse for at least 30 minutes. Remove the cobs.
- Pour the mixture into a food processor or blender and liquify until smooth . Then strain the mixture through a sieve and return to the pot.
- Whisk the egg yolks.
- Heat the corn mixture and then spoon a large spoonful into the egg yolks slowly while whisking the yolks.(temper)
- Slowly add the mixture back into the pot and cook for a few minutes as it thickens.
- Add the clarified butter and continue to stir.
- Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Then using an ice cream maker , follow directions to complete making ice cream. It looks gorgeous with a dollop of bright red jalapeno jam.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn Recipe