If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The inspriration for the chowder came from a recipe in old Williams & Sonoma catalog. That recipe called for whole milk and bacon which I am sure would make this chowder decadent. I modified this to make it a non-dairy and vegan version for lovely and clean digestion and for all of those in my family that happen to be lactose-intolerant! I use imagine Rice Milk instead of cows milk. The rice milk has a sweet taste and is quite nice, but looks quite watery and gray if you have not used it before. You can find it in the health food section of most supermarkets and in our local market you can even purchase it in the milk section, fresh and ice cold. The rich potatoes give the chowder the body it might otherwise miss from not using a whole milk (or half cream for that matter). Also, I have gone quite light on the salt and pepper, please adjust for your tastes. I hope you enjoy this one! —Sunchowder
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped fine
- 6 cups Rice Milk
- 3 Medium Russet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 Ears of Fresh Corn, Kernels removed, reseve corn cobs
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Chopped Chives for Garnish
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil to saute onions
- Pour your 2 Tbsps of canola oil into a heavy Dutch Oven or soup pot. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add the rice milk (or regular if you prefer), peeled and diced potatoes, corn and the reserved corn cobs into the pot. Cover and bring to the boil, turn down the fire and cook on medium heat for about 1 hour. Remove the cobs. Using an immersion blender, puree the chowder as much as you prefer and add your salt and pepper. You can mix the chives in at this point or you can ladle your soup and garnish each one with a bit of the chopped chives.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn Recipe
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.