Author Notes: This recipe teams a trio of roasted vegetables (corn, sweet and hot peppers, zucchini) with nutty brown rice in a simple dish for a hot August night. Grill the vegetables ahead of time and refrigerate so they are cool and easy to cut up later on. Caution, wear gloves while handling the hot peppers! I recommend delicious, nutty Cajun Grains jasmine brown rice, featured in a New York Times article and available through Amazon and from the grower: http://cajungrainrice.com/ - AppleAnnie
- 3 ears of fresh sweet corn
- 3 small semi-hot to hot peppers (such as Hungarian yellow)
- 2 medium or large sweet peppers (red, orange, yellow)
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup salty black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup brown rice (Cajun Grains or your favorite brand)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3/4 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- salt, pepper
- Soak the corn in a pot of water for 30 minutes before grilling. Quarter the zucchini lengthwise and then cut into chunks about an inch long. Put the zucchini in a loosely folded foil packet, drizzling with oil and salting lightly.
- Place all three vegetables on a hot grill, the peppers are easy to grill in a wire basket. Turn the peppers until the skin is charred on all sides. Put them in a paper bag to cool. The corn takes 5-10 minutes on each. The zucchini is ready when the flesh is soft. Cool and then refrigerate the grilled vegetables
- Just before cooking the rice, finish preparing the corn and peppers. Cut the kernels off the cobs. Remove the skin and seeds from the peppers (wear gloves when handling the hot peppers!) and slice the peppers into thin strips.
- Cook the rice in salted water as directed for the variety used. (Cajun Grains recommends rinsing the rice in water before cooking. This step washes away starch and allows the grains to fully absorb the flavors of the corn and peppers.)
- While the rice is cooking, in a good-sized frying pan sauté the onion in melted butter and oil over medium high heat until browned. Add the roasted peppers and zucchini to the onions, and continue cooking.
- Add the garlic and olives to the onion mixture and continue to cook, stirring to combine all of the ingredients. Add the almond butter, balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp salt, cumin and black pepper. Stir to blend and continue to cook over low heat until almond butter has been evenly absorbed.
- When the rice is cooked, add the coconut milk, corn, and 1 tsp salt to the pot of rice. Cook over low heat.
- Add the onion-pepper-zucchini mixture to the rice and corn mixture. Stir, taste, and adjust seasonings.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn Recipe