Author Notes: I love blueberries and wanted to develop a recipe that would work as a condiment to enjoy with pork tenderloin or roast chicken. After some experimenting, I came up with this combination of spice and citrus to balance against the sweetness of the berries. - Lizthechef
Serves 1 1/2 to 2 cups, depending on size of berries
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme (any fresh thyme), chopped
- zest and juice of one Meyer lemon (or any lemon)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, peeled and finely grated
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- Using a medium-sized saucepan, heat the oil and cook the shallot until limp. Add remaining ingredients, except for the blueberries, and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the berries, reduce heat to low, stir gently and cook berries until they release enough juice to create a sauce but still retain their shape. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment