If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of my favorite recipes that I adopted from a mentor of mine from San Francisco, Allison Rodman. I learned so many incredible things from her in the 1980's and '90's. Granted I usually present it as sliced apples on cheese platters, but once I diced the apples and served it as a chutney, which, tossed with fresh pomegranate seeds and chopped chives is truly lovely. These apples would taste great on lamb burgers. This recipe needs 1 full day to marinate before enjoying. - flavoristabarr —flavoristabarr
Food52 Review: Tart apple slices are marinated in a tangy-spicy blend of orange juice, pineapple juice, lemon juice, chili flakes, and toasted curry powder. The crisp, flavorful apples are a taste revelation. So easy to make, and so amazing to eat. Watch out while toasting the curry powder that it doesn't burn. And the apples don't have to be green. I used crispy-tart Rubyjons; they look equally beautiful. - Apple Annie —The Editors
Makes 4 generous cups
- 4 Green apples, quartered, cored then diced into small pieces or sliced into 1/4 inch thick half moons
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chili pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, lightly toasted
- Place the liquids into a large non-reactive dish.
- Whisk in the salt, chili pepper and toasted (cooled) curry powder.
- Add the diced apples. The apples can be as big or small as you desire.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- Remove the apples from the marinade and place in a serving dish. You can freeze the used marinade and use it one more time.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Red Pepper Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.