Author Notes: This recipe is courtesy of my great grandfather’s Parisian “cuisiniere” [chef, if you will]. Her name was Lili and my mother has the fondest memories of her cooking. This is a perfect recipe for summertime when tomatoes, zucchinis & eggplants are at their finest. Make a big pot and freeze it or have it in the morning with scrambled eggs, it’s absolutely heavenly. - Culinista Annouchka
Makes 10 cups
- 1 kilo zucchinis (3 very large or 6 medium)
- 750 gr. red bell peppers (green, yellow or orange are great as well)
- 750 gr. eggplants
- 4 large white onions
- 2 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 kilo tomatoes (about 6 medium tomatoes)
- 1-2 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 tablespoons very good olive oil
- 1 small bunch of basil, roughly chopped
- Fresh ground salt & pepper (we used smoked salt, which was delicious)
- Cut all the vegetables into chunks – not too small though – and set aside.
- Place the butter & olive oil in a very large dutch oven pan on medium heat and add the onions, stirring often. When they are fragrant 2 to 3 minutes add the minced garlic. Keep stirring until the onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchinis, eggplant & the bell peppers and cook until browned, 7 to 8 minutes, stirring often. Then add the tomatoes & basil, generously salt & pepper and cook for 1 1/2 hour on very low heat. You may want to cover your pan half way through.
- Once the ratatouille is finished, the consistency will thicken. Enjoy warm or at room temperature, as a main or side dish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe