If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was inspired to start making a spread of herbs and greens by Paula Wolfert's recipe for "herb jam." True to my personal cooking style, I didn't actually have all the ingredients I needed to make her recipe when I decided to try it, so I created my own version. Her recipe is great, but I like mine so well, I'm never going back! This spread on some good toast with avocado and a little cheese is one of my favorite things for lunch. —fiveandspice
Makes about 1/2-3/4 of a cup
- 1 large bunch parsley, washed
- 1/4 pound spinach leaves, washed
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-2 pinches lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt (more to taste)
- In a steamer basket, steam the spinach, parsley, and garlic cloves together for 10 minutes, until the garlic has softened. Allow to cool.
- Coarsely chop the spinach and parsley. Smash the garlic to a paste.
- Over medium-high heat, heat 2 Tbs. of olive oil in a heavy bottom frying pan until it is shimmering, add the garlic, the olives, and the spices (chile, cumin, cayenne) and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes, until the garlic is golden and the spices are fragrant.
- Stir in the chopped greens and parsley. Cook, stirring frequently and smashing together all the ingredients, until the greens are somewhat dried out, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the last tablespoon of olive oil, the lemon juice, and lemon zest. Serve right away as a spread, or store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.