If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I eat quite a lot of lentils, and inspired by Nicole Franzen's lemon thyme lentils, I decided to make a salad of lentils with roasted red and yellow peppers. This is a great lunch, and can be adapted to your taste. I like things lemony so I added quite a bit of citrus--you can reduce it. I keep the olive oil on the light side--you may choose to add more. While the lentils are the main event in this salad, the peppers add balance and sweetness, and roasting them is super-easy.
Food52 Review: Drbabs's salad would be the perfect make-ahead lunch (with or without onions). The different textures are nicely matched and you can balance the flavors to your liking. – Stephanie —The Editors
- 2 cups cooked lentils, room temperature
- juice and zest of one lemon
- juice and zest of 1/2 lime
- 3 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and finely diced
- 1 small sweet onion, shallot, or a couple of scallions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup finely chopped herbs of your choice (I used parsley, basil and oregano from my garden.)
- 1-2 glugs, good olive oil, or to taste
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 dash red pepper flakes (or more as needed for heat)
- (optional) crumbled feta or goat cheese, to taste
- Stir lemon and lime juice and zest into cooked lentils. Add roasted red pepper, onion and garlic, and paprika. Stir gently, being careful not to break up lentils. Add olive oil a glug at a time till the balance between citrus and olive oil is to your liking. Salt, pepper, and add red pepper flakes and cheese, if using, to taste.
- Serve with arugula or other salad greens.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Red Pepper Recipe
Just Pudding It out There
Use your melon: make this 3-ingredient, vegan dessert
Pudding melon to the test.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
We give it 8 tentacles up.