Author Notes: Light, healthy, and full of bright flavors...this is kind of like wonton soup without the wrappers. - TheThinChef
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 3-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, half grated, half cut into thin matchsticks, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1 clove garlic, grated with a microplane
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 pound spinach, washed, stems removed, and roughly chopped
- In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, the grated ginger, and the next 7 ingredients (through scallions). Mix thoroughly. Add the turkey, and mix lightly with hands to combine. In a stockpot, combine sliced ginger and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Let simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Uncover pot and drop turkey mixture by tablespoonfuls into simmering stock to make freeform meatballs. Stir very gently to fully submerge meatballs. Add spinach and cook, uncovered, 3 minutes or until meatballs are firm and no pink remains inside (cut one open to check). Add remaining soy sauce.