Author Notes: This soup was one of the culinary delights awaiting balloonists when they would touch down after drifting with the breezes over vineyards, churches and villages in Burgundy, near Beaune, a small city southeast of Paris.
This is truly a beguiling soup because its lovely light red color suggests tomato but its taste is all pepper. It’s zingy but sweet. Both April and Chris had a second bowl.
I paired it with a burgundy and followed it with stuffed pork tenderloin medallions over rice. I imagine this soup would be equally delicious served cold with a glass of Sancerre and a salad. - F for Food - F for Food
Food52 Review: This smooth, velvety soup feels very extravagant. Watch the cooking times so your vegetables are tender without burning before giving them a final simmer to bring together all the components. A swirl of crème fraîche and a garnish of crab make it all the more lush. – Stephanie - A&M
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped coarsely
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 roasted red peppers, peeled, seeded and chopped coarsely
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp créme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons lump crabmeat
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan; drop in the chopped onions and cook over medium-low heat until they are soft and translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Add the carrots, cover and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the stock, leave uncovered and bring to a boil over medium-high heat for 20 minutes to reduce the stock base in volume and to strengthen its flavor. Skim occasionally.
- Add the pepper chunks and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until they can be easily pierced with a fork or knife point. Remove from heat and add milk, salt, pepper and thyme.
- When somewhat cool, puree the soup in a food processor or blender.
- Reheat soup over low flame and add crème fraiche. Serve in heated bowls, topped with a dollop of crème fraiche and lump crab meat.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Red Pepper Recipe