If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A Texas and Southern staple, this dish was created by Helen Corbitt - a culinary luminary in Texas. For a New Year's Eve dinner, Corbitt "re invented" the traditional dish of black eyed peas by marinating them and serving them as a salad at the Houston Country Club. The dish didn't get the name of Texas Caviar though until it was served at the Driskill Hotel- evidently Texans decided that it deserved a fancier name than "pickled black eyed peas!" The name stuck and so has this dish - in fact it was so popular that when Corbitt went to work at Neiman Marcus, the company canned it and sold it in their stores. Part of it's appeal is that it lends itself to individual expression. Some make it with corn and some make it with peppers - and some make it with both!! My version? No corn - lots of peppers. - Nancy@acommunaltable
Serves approximately 5 cups
- 1/2 cup good quality red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
for the caviar
- 15 ounces can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch italian parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- Combine mustard, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add both vinegars and whisk until mustard is fully incorporated. Slowly whisk in the oil. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the vinaigrette over and stir to combine all the ingredients. Refrigerate overnight. Serve with tortilla chips or the traditional fritos!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Red Pepper Recipe
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.