If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have a basic cake recipe that I throw different seasonal fruit into depending upon the season. It occurred to me that I could adapt the recipe to be a savory cake featuring the coincidental bevy of red peppers in my refrigerator. A quick roast of the peppers and addition of some farmers cheese and herbs made this cake creamy and rich. It's a bit deceptive as the roasted red peppers look like fruit jewels. - testkitchenette
Makes 8 slices
- 3 red peppers, roasted, cooled, seeded, skinned, and chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- scant 1/2 cup farmers cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 6 heaping tablespoons spelt flour (all purpose or whole wheat would work also)
- scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 350F and butter an 8 inch cake pan. While the oven preheats (or more in advance if you'd like), roast the peppers until the skin blisters and is blackened. Cool in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. When cool enough to handle remove seeds and skins. Chop into 1/4-1/2 inch dice and reserve in a bowl.
- Add the lemon zest, thyme, and rosemary to the red peppers. Melt the butter over low heat and cool. In a large bowl add the farmers cheese and eggs to the butter and whisk until smooth. Add the reserved red pepper and herb mixture and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add this mixture to the red pepper, herb, egg and cheese mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are mixed in.
- Bake for 60 minutes, the top will be browned and vibrant red peppers will be peeking through. Cool and serve warm or room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili Pepper Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Red Pepper Recipe