If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love the earthy richness of this dish, the meat falls apart and melts in your mouth. This is one of my favorite meals on a nice cold winter day. It pairs great with creamy polenta or potatoes. —ADRIENE
- 4 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 2 yellow onions (small dice)
- 15 garlic cloves (minced)
- 5 carrots (medium chunks)
- 3 cups red wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt & pepper
- Add the olive oil to a large (wide) heavy pot and start heating. Add the diced onions and sugar and cook until it starts to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Scoop out onions and set aside. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Season the short ribs heavily with salt and pepper and dregde lightly in flour. Brown the pieces in the pot until nice and golden brown on all sides. Do not over crowd the pan, do in several batches if you need to so the meat can brown. Set the beef aside on a plate.
- Add the onions back into the pot and add in the garlic and carrots and saute another couple minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine. Make sure to scrape up all of the bits from the bottom of the pan. Now add in the beef stock and short ribs.
- Bring the dish up to a boil and then cover loosely and put in the oven. Cook for about 2 hours in the oven. Then put on the stove top and reduce down by 1/4. Adjust the salt and pepper. Finish by adding in the thyme and butter. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Short Ribs
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.