If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mother-in-law Frieda was a woman of limited and specific taste in food. She kept kosher her whole life, and was truly appalled at the thought of eating anything that wasn’t. She was in her 80’s when I met her, and her diet basically consisted of coffee, white bread, American cheese, tomatoes, ice cream, Stella D’Oro breakfast treats and Hawaiian Punch. So it was with surprise and delight that I found that she shared my love of radishes. We ate many a plate of radishes (sometimes with celery and carrots) over the 14 years we knew each other. Last summer Mom, her daughter and son-in-law were on their way down to New York to visit us when someone running a red light hit their stopped car. Frieda died as a result of the accident. She was 96 years old. Here’s to Frieda. We sure do miss her.
- 2 cups mixed greens, i.e., baby lettuce, arugula, mache, etc.
- 2 center stalks of celery, sliced thin, leaves reserved
- 1 small bulb fennel, sliced thin, some fronds reserved and chopped fine.
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2-3 scallions, chopped fine
- 6-8 radishes, washed well, sliced thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lay salad greens in a large flat bowl. (Or you could compose the salad on 2 separate plates.) Pile celery, fennel, parsley (or other herbs), celery leaves and fennel frond leaves in the center. Scatter the radish slices around the perimeter.
- 4-6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup fruity olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped tarragon leaves
- Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified. Whisk in tarragon. Drizzle dressing over salad, and taste. Add salt and pepper as needed before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radish Recipe
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.