If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I think radishes and hazelnuts have an affinity and if they don't, they should get together more often and make it happen! This is a simple, crisp salad, using radish leaf pesto as the dressing and apple slices to sweeten. To cut the apples into thin chunks, after coring, I cut it into half and then cut into thin slices, lengthways. Then I cut along the horizontal in 3-4 places to give me small pieces. —Kitchen Butterfly
- 1 bunch radish bulbs, washed (reserve the green leaves for pesto - see recipe on food52)
- 50 - 60g skinned hazelnuts (filberts), gently toasted & ground
- 30g freshly grated pecorino/parmesan cheese
- 1 small clove of garlic, or to taste
- Skin of 1 kumquat (or some citrus either a tablespoon of juice or 1 teaspoon of zest)
- 1/3 - 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 sweet, crisp apple (I used Braeburn), cored and cut into small thin chunks
- 6 tablespoons radish leaf hazelnut pesto (recipe on food52)
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut oil
- Sea salt, pepper to taste
- Make the pesto: Place the radish leaves, half of the chopped hazelnuts, grated cheese, garlic, citrus skin/zest/juice and 1/3 cup of the grapeseed oil to start with in a blender or food processor.
- Blitz till smooth, scooping sides in/down in between pulses. Add more oil if required, though mixture liquifies easily. Remove from blender/processor and stir in the hazelnut oil. Season with salt and chilli pepper to taste and refrigerate till ready to use
- Make the salad: Slice the washed radishes into rounds
- In a bowl, combine the radishes, apple chunks and the remaining hazelnuts and hazelnut oil.
- Stir in the pesto and stir well to combine. Season with more salt if need be. You can serve immediately or refrigerate for 1/2 hour - 1 hour before you serve
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radish Recipe
Orange wine, robo-pancakes, and more
Our favorite food reads.
Our haikus about gin.
We've got the summer blues.
Food blog links we love.
A better basket.