If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This was a favorite of mine growing up. It's a great savory dish- a creamy beef and mushroom sauce typically served over noodles. —kowley
- 1 pound beef; use good-quality steak for best results, but ground beef also works
- 2-3 medium yellow onions, diced
- cooking oil or butter
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 6-8 ounces mushrooms, sliced, or 1 can
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, optional
- Sear the meat over high heat in a large skillet; brown evenly.
- Remove meat from skillet, set aside, and reduce heat to medium. Add a few tablespoons butter or oil (to preference) and the onions. Saute for about 4 minutes until translucent.
- Add the bell pepper and onions and saute a few more minutes until softened.
- Put the beef back in the skillet. Stir in sour cream and worcestershire sauce. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and ground mustard. Allow to simmer over very low heat for up to an hour.
- Salt and pepper to taste. If the sauce is thick, dissolve the cornstarch in water and stir in; if too dry, dilute with water.
- Serve generously over thick noodles. Also goes well on bread as open-faced sandwiches, or in blini.
Our Recent Favorite Recipes
Spaghetti! Pork chops! Croissants!
Our recent favorite recipes.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
Have a ball (jar).