Author Notes: This was a favorite of mine growing up. It's a great savory dish- a creamy beef and mushroom sauce typically served over noodles. - kowley
- 1 pound beef; use good-quality steak for best results, but ground beef also works
- 2-3 medium yellow onions, diced
- cooking oil or butter
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 6-8 ounces mushrooms, sliced, or 1 can
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, optional
- Sear the meat over high heat in a large skillet; brown evenly.
- Remove meat from skillet, set aside, and reduce heat to medium. Add a few tablespoons butter or oil (to preference) and the onions. Saute for about 4 minutes until translucent.
- Add the bell pepper and onions and saute a few more minutes until softened.
- Put the beef back in the skillet. Stir in sour cream and worcestershire sauce. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and ground mustard. Allow to simmer over very low heat for up to an hour.
- Salt and pepper to taste. If the sauce is thick, dissolve the cornstarch in water and stir in; if too dry, dilute with water.
- Serve generously over thick noodles. Also goes well on bread as open-faced sandwiches, or in blini.