Author Notes: I got this recipe from a friend 6 years ago. I have made several variations of this cake, and always get asked for the recipe. The fun part is the cake takes on a different texture and flavor complexities as it ages. A new twist on the Fruit/rum cakes of the 50's. Very easy to make, and sure to have a combination to please even the food snobs who usually refuse to eat something starting from a shhhhhh.....cake mix! Other variations were: hazelnut liquor/chocolate cake mix. pistachio nuts/vanilla rum and raspberry glaze, peppermint shnapps/chocolate mix/strawberry glaze, lemon cake/blueberry glaze, lavander/lemon cake with mint blackberry glaze...endless choices. - monkeycheeks
Serves 1 to 12 servings
- 1 cake mix (yellow)
- 4 eggs
- 3 ounces package instant vanilla pudding
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rum (spiced works best)
- Mix together the ingredients. Grease the bundt pan, sprinkle the bottom of the pan with toasted walnut pieces. Pour cake mix over nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup rum
- 5 minutes before the cake is done, mix together the rum mixture in a small saucepan, Bring to a boil. When cake is done, take fork and poke holes while still in the bundt pan. Then, POUR SLOWLY the sauce over cake-Let cake set for 15 minutes then turn it out.
- While cake is setting, chop 2 apples, and toss with teaspoon of lemon juice and teaspoon of cinnemon. take carmel topping (found in the ice cream condiments section of grocery stores) and warm in the microwave.
- Pour warmed carmel sauce over turned out cake. Sprinkle apples over warmed carmel. Serve with vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Apple Cake