If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sometimes things just come together with a little serendipity. Like this ice cream. At the beginning of September TAZA Chocolate Mexicano was featured in the food52 shop. I am a big chocolate fan, so I thought to myself: I will have to find that someday. My parents returned from a trip to Seattle and Portland three days later with, coincidentally, some TAZA Guajillo Chili Chocolate Mexicano as a gift for me. A few days after that, Elana of elanaspantry posted her recipe for Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream and then a few days later there was a foodpickle question about overripe bananas. It is so humid here bananas ripen really quickly; I have been peeling and freezing ripe bananas in Ziploc bags for a while now. All of these elements percolated in my brain and this ice cream was the result. This reminds me of the chocolate dipped frozen bananas I enjoyed as a kid from a local ice cream shop - with a subtle spicy warmth at the end. - gingerroot
Makes about 1 quart
- 3 frozen ripe bananas
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2.7 ounces TAZA Guajillo Chili Chocolate Mexicano
- 1/4 cup golden brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- Take frozen bananas out of freezer to thaw. With a large serrated knife, finely chop chocolate discs. Transfer chocolate to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat cream, milk and palm sugar in a saucepan over low heat. Stir and cook until brown sugar has dissolved. Remove mixture from heat, stir in chocolate until completely melted. Allow mixture to cool.
- Coarsely chop bananas (they should be thawed, but still firm). Add bananas and chocolate cream mixture to blender. Puree until combined. Stir in ancho chili powder.
- Pour mixture into base of ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions. When finished, transfer to an airtight container and freeze longer for a firmer ice cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
Take Summer Food Inside
11 DIY projects to make when it's too hot to go outside.
Cool Eats for Hot Days
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
Anna Jones Loves Vegetables
The Daily Grind
Italian Breakfast Buns