If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In my family, apple pie was a staple all fall and winter. And it was a breakfast food, served with a healthy slice of very sharp Vermont cheddar. I created this pie with those memories in mind. - MrsWheelbarrow - MrsWheelbarrow
Food52 Review: This pie is a hearty celebration of autumn. MrsWheelbarrow layers in traditional apple pie spicing in just the right proportions and balances it all with a cloak of maple syrup and a savory cheddar crust. The heavy cream and egg yolk wash gives the crust gorgeous golden coloring. - Kristen
- The Editors
Serves 9" deep dish pie
Make the Crust
- 2-2/3 cups AP flour
- 4 ounces cold butter
- 4 ounces extra sharp grated cheddar, cold
- 1/2 cup ice water
- pinches salt
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, butter and cheddar until just cut in. (if you don't have a processor, this can be done with your fingers, a pastry cutter, or two knives)
- Dump in the ice water and run the processor until the dough forms a ball. (or stir, gather the dough with your hands, with the heel of your hand, place the dough on the counter and push away from you, gather again, push away again.)
- Form the dough into two disks, one slightly larger than the other. Refrigerate four hours or overnight.
Make the Pie
- 5 cups mixed fall apples, peeled and sliced 1/3" thick
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Peel the apples. Cut in half. Use a melon baller to take out the core. Slice into half moons. Toss into a bowl with the lemon juice as you cut, to keep their color fresh. Add the maple syrup, flour, sugar and spices and stir it all around gently.
- Place a deep dish pie pan in the freezer to chill. Take one disk of dough and roll it out to fit the bottom of the pie dish with a healthy 1"+ overhang. Sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Pile the apple mixture into the pie pan lined with a bottom crust and dot with butter.
- roll out the top crust (the slightly larger disk) and drape over the apples, allowing for a 1"+ overhang. (I cut a heart out of the center of the dough as a steam vent - you can just vent the top with a knife, if you want.)
- Make the edges pretty - I just pinch the dough together, but you can use a fork to make a crimped edge, add a braid, whatever looks pretty to you. Beat the egg yolk with the cream and brush the top crust. Put the pie in the freezer for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° and bake an additional 45 minutes, tenting with foil if it gets too dark.
- Allow the pie to cool for a couple of hours before slicing.
How to Take a Food52-Style Photo
Those Instagrams aren't going to like themselves.
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends
How to Hard Cook Lots of Eggs at Once
Use the oven, you egghead.
Nancy Silverton's Bran Muffins
Wholesome, jammy, Genius.
Style with a breeze.