If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After reading the prompt for this week’s contest, this is what I thought to make as a savory pie, and for a sweet pie, and apple one that I’ll post in a bit.This afternoon I got the pies going, and came to check in on food52.I had to chuckle when I read the recipes my sister, AntoniaJames, has come up with for the contest. We’re so often on the same track, though her recipes tend to be much more inventive than my own. So for the crust, if you’d like to use AntoniaJames’s hot water crust, I’d definitely recommend it (and rolling crust between layers of plastic wrap is a good tip too:) - SallyCan
Serves 9” pie
- 1 1/3 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 2/3 c all purpose flour
- 1 c cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 c vegetable oil (or lard)
- ½ - 1 c ice water
- 1 slice bacon, diced
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 – 1 ½ lb chicken breast, cut into 1 – 2” pieces
- 4 oz Kielbasa, quartered lengthwise, and sliced in ½ pieces
- 2 T flour
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 c coarsely chopped onions
- ½ c carrots, cut in ½ - 1” pieces
- ½ c parsnips, cut in ½ - 1” pieces
- 1 c mushrooms, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Stems from 8 – 10 Swiss chard leaves, sliced in ¼” slices (about ¾ cup)
- Leaves from 8 – 10 Swiss Chard leaves, cut in 1” pieces (about 3 cups)
- 2 T finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 T finely chopped parsley
- 1 T finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme
- 1C chicken broth (if you have some you’ve made with the bones from a smoked or rotisserie chicken, that would be good to use)
- Roux made by blending 2 T flour into 2 T softened butter
- S & P
- Egg wash made with 1 egg beaten with 1 T cream or milk
- Pie Crust: Mix together flours
- Cut in butter and oil until it resembles coarse crumbs
- Add water. Give it a stir or two with a fork, and then bring it together with your hands, being careful not to mix it too vigorously.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
- Preheat oven to 400. Divide dough in half. Roll half for bottom crust, place in pan, fluting edges. Keep top crust wrapped and refrigerated until ready to use. Chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes
- Prick bottom crust with a fork and partially bake for 15 minutes
- Make filling:
- In heavy bottomed pan, cook bacon and olive oil over med for a minute or two, stirring.
- Add chicken and kielbasa and cook over medium for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Sprinkle flour and paprika over chicken and kielbasa, and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes, stirring, until it begins to brown. Remove to bowl, don’t clean pan.
- To the pan add 2 T olive oil and onions. Cook for a minute on medium low heat, stirring.
- Add carrots and parsnips; cook for a minute or so, stirring.
- Add mushrooms and garlic; cook for another minute, stirring.
- Add chard stems and potatoes, cook for 3 minutes or so, until vegetables have started to brown, stirring, being sure stir up anything that is stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add Swiss chard leaves, herbs, and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, and let cook for a minute or two. Vegetables should be barely soft, and still rather firm.
- Mix in roux as needed, and cook to thicken broth so that it is thickened a bit, but not stiff (it is ok if your pie is a bit runny, better that than dry)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour into partially baked pie shell, piling filling high.
- Roll out top crust and place on top filling. Trim edges and cut air vents in top crust. Brush with egg wash. Place in middle rack of oven with cookie sheet or foil wrap on shelf below, to catch any drips.
- Bake at 400 for 30 – 40 minutes Let sit 10 minutes before cutting.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Pie
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls