If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by one of my all time favorite recipes from Food & Wine for Vietnamese style catfish. The marinade reduces to a wonderfully sweet sticky sauce. Unlike traditional buffalo wings where the dipping sauce cools the heat from the fire of the wings, the Honey Sriracha Yogurt sauce provides the fire to counteract the sweetness of the wings. The wing recipe can easily be doubled or tripled without increasing the sauce. - melissav —melissav
Food52 Review: Think of these chicken wings as the Asian version of Buffalo wings. Actually, they are far better since the flavors are more sophisticated. The basting marinade results in perfectly sticky, glossy and caramelized wings. They are best served warm so that you can best appreciate the contrast between the warm wings and the cool (yet spicy) dipping sauce. This sauce is so simple but delicious and I will devise more ways to use it on its own. My only modification would be to reduce the oven temperature and watch the wings carefully so that they don't burn. I never needed to broil them... they were perfectly lacquered. Thumbs up. - sticksnscones —The Editors
- 2 pounds chicken wings, cut into three pieces, tips reserved for another use
- olive oil
- five spice powder
- 1/4 cup + 2TB honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce [I use tamari]
- 1.5 tablespoons packed grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 serrano pepper, minced seeds and all
- 3 scallions, minced
- splash of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 425
- Cover a baking dish just big enough to hold all the wings in a single layer with foil. Don't skip this step or you will be cursing me as you try to clean the dish later.
- Place the wings in the dish and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and five spice powder.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While baking, mix together all of the remaining ingredients except the sesame seeds.
- After 15 minutes, remove the wings and pour the sauce over them.
- Bake for another 25 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. After 25 minutes, pop on the boiler and broil on each side for about 2 minutes. Watch carefully but you want the sauce to reduce to a glaze and the wings to turn a beautiful mahogany color.
- Remove from the oven and toss with the sesame seeds. Serve with the dipping sauce (recipe below).
Honey Sriracha Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon Sriracha
- big pinch of salt
- Mix the ingredients together in a small dish.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken Wings
Forget Pantry Problems
Here's how to spruce up and stock one smartly
Forget your pantry problems.
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
A better basket.