If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am not sure how this idea came about other than I had miso and ginger rolling around in my head and I guess they got lonely and invited wings along. - aargersi - aargersi
Food52 Review: Ginger + Miso is such a tasty combination. When you add lemon, the result is simply sublime. Flavoring the meat of the wings, before baking them in the sauce, makes them taste even better. I find that freshly ground white pepper can be overpowering, even in dishes with other boldly flavored ingredients, so I only used one teaspoon instead of two. That was plenty, so I recommend adding the white pepper to taste. Very nicely done, aargersi!! -? AntoniaJames - A&M
Serves 6 or so. well, ok, 3 but we were hungry and football was on.
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 6 cups water
- 12 ginger "coins" sliced about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- 3-4 tablespoons dark miso (start with 3 and test for how salty it is, you want it like soup)
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1/2 cup honey
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- 4 scallions - finely chopped
- Trim and cut the wings. Put the tips in a stock pot with the water, miso, ginger coins, white pepper carrot and celery (both of which you have washed and cut into hunks). Simmer this for an hour and taste for salt, if it needs more add a bit more miso.
- Poach the wings for about 10 minutes until they are just done. Turn the heat off and let them rest in there for another 10 or 15 minutes, then remove them from the stock. Strain the stock and save it for some noodle soup or something - it's good!
- Heat the oven to 450. Toss the wings with the remaining ingredients. Spray a cookie sheet with no-stick and then spread the wings out on it. Into the oven they go. Bake until they are crispy and kinda gooey - stirring a couple times as they cook.
- That's it! Eat up!