Author Notes: I came up with this up while trying to emulate a local burrito shop's "pollo adovado." I only had ground chipotle powder so I used that as well as some sweet paprika to make them not-too-hot and somewhat kid-friendly. My uber-picky 11 year old loved them when I recently retested the recipe. I will try to make again soon and get a good photo of the finished product - they turn out a very lovely golden yellow. - Sadassa_Ulna
Serves 4 - 6
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground chipotle chili
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup no-salt chicken stock or water
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- Heat butter in medium-size saucepan over medium-low heat until melted, add minced onion. Cover and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, rinse and pat dry the chicken wings. Cut wings at the joints into three sections. You can find where to position your knife by snipping the skin close to the joint, then bending the joints open and dislocating them. Discard or reserve the third section (the tips) for other use (i.e. stock).
- Add garlic, spices and salt to the onion. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, grate the lemon all over to get the yellow zest. Add zest to onion-spice mixture along with the cup of water or stock. Stir to incorporate.
- Roll lemon on a hard surface to if necessary to soften, then cut in half and press to capture all the juice. Strain the juice and add to the saucepan.
- Add honey and stir to incorporate. Adjust chipotle to your liking. Allow mixture to cool. [Mixture can be covered and refrigerated for a day or two, just allow to get to room temperature before baking or increase baking time slightly].
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees - this is not a typo - five hundred. If you prefer to grill your wings I suggest keeping them whole and just removing the tips.
- Rinse chicken wings and place on a large baking sheet with sides. Cover wings with lukewarm sauce and flip to coat.
- Bake 20 minutes, flip wings over, lower oven to 400 degrees. Bake another 15-20 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken Wings