If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love soups. They are healthy (usually), hearty and satisfying. Especially in cooler weather. I also love them as lunches to take to work as a healthy alternative to cafe food or takeaways. Lentils are a pulse that come from the seed of the annual plant lens culinaris. They have been used in the human diet since the stone age and low in fat, high in protein and high in fiber. Health wise lentils contain a source of cholesterol lowering fiber, help regulate blood sugar and are one of the best vegetable sources of iron. Their iron content is particularly important for vegetarians or anyone suffering from iron deficiency, such as myself. —Jennifer (Delicieux)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 mushrooms, diced or sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 400g tin of chopped Italian tomatoes
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 60g rocket leaves
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 1.5 litres of vegetable or meat stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Warm a large pot and add the olive oil, garlic, onion and leek and cook until the onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add the celery, carrot, thyme and mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until the carrot begins to soften.
- Then add the tinned tomatoes, lentils and stock and stir well. Cover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Before serving add the rocket and dill. Serve with warm crusty bread.
What's Your Ideal Meal?
The52 share their favorite dishes—ever
What's your ideal meal?
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
A better basket.