Author Notes: Filipinos have this thing about garlic and vinegar--if those two ingredients aren't actually in a dish, then a saucer of the mixture will be on the side as a dipping sauce. This is based on my mother's adobo recipe, which, besides being full of flavor, is unbelievebly easy. - betteirene
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup cup soy sauce (preferably Kikkoman)
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed or very coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and coarsely chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf (optional)
- 3 pounds chicken wings, excluding wing tips
- Combine all ingredients, except chicken wings, in a Dutch oven with a non-reactive finish. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add chicken wings, cover, and refrierate for at least one hour and up to three hours.
- Over high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and cook, uncovered, for a half hour or until wings are cooked through and marinade has reduced to a syrupy glaze.
- Remove bay leaf. Transfer wings to a platter and serve with any remaining sauce on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken Wings