If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I got the idea for this recipe from listening to a radio show one afternoon. Someone was talking about making a crust for tilapia, I think, and I thought it would be good on chicken. I made it for my girlfriend with gnocchi and garlic bread, and served it with wine. I think you could probably stretch this recipe quite a bit, as a bit of pesto goes a long way. - zwerkowitch
- 3 cups fresh basil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pistachios (shells removed)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil or butter
- 1/2 cup pistachios (shells removed)
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 450º. Remove shells from all pistachios & spread them on a cookie sheet. Toast them for 5-10 minutes.
- Put all pesto ingredients, except olive oil, in food processor or blender, and blend until finely chopped.
- Slowly add 1/3 cup olive oil, as you continue blending.
- Taste a bit. Add salt, pepper, etc, to your liking.
- Remove pesto to a bowl. Pat chicken breasts with a paper towel, if needed, and spread pesto on both sides of breasts. There should be plenty left over for pasta. I let mine sit with the sauce on them for about an hour, but it's not necessary.
- Use food processor to chop remaining 1/2 cup pistachios finely. (I would at least rinse it out before this step.)
- Pour pistachios into a shallow bowl or plate. Mix in Italian breadcrumbs. Coat both sides of chicken breasts with crunched pistachios. This will be the crust.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet. Cook chicken on high heat until done, about 5-6 minutes on each side.
- Serve with gnocchi, or your favorite pasta.
You're the Best, Forget the Rest
The World's 50 Best Restaurants have nothin' on these recipes.
The best restaurant? Your kitchen.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
These are mmmpanadas.
Raise a (recycled) glass.