If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My teenaged daughter has never once bought school lunch. I say that with an ounce of pride and more than several ounces of frustration as there are some days when making that lunch can just put us over the edge (though since I first wrote this she has taken over lunch making duties - I still make sure the kitchen is stocked with healthy options). As she leaves the house at 6:30 a.m. and is often at school until 4:30 or later with sports practice, we try to supplement her lunch with some healthy snacks. I'm not much for baking, but I experimented with whole grains and oatmeal in banana bread to try to come up with something hearty and heart healthy-ish. The handful of chips just makes her happy. - healthierkitchen
Makes one loaf
- 1 - 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 medium sized very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 1 jumbo egg, plus one extra egg white (or two large eggs)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- scant 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a loaf pan with vegetable cooking spray - either an 8 x 4 x 2 1/2 inch pan or a 9 x 5 x 3 inch pan.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the oil, sugar and eggs. Add the yogurt and then the mashed bananas into the oil mixture and stir until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until moistened. Stir in the oats and nuts and chips (if using).
- Pour mixture into the loaf pan. Place loaf pan on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch