If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Light, refreshing and citrusy. For variations add boiled chilled shrimp or lightly poach scallops. —riversidedogwalking
For the Salad
- 1 pound cleaned squid
- 1/2 pound rice stick, rice noodles
- 1 red pepper, Julienned
- 2-3 Thia chili pepper, Julienned or to taste
- 1 cucumber
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1/4 cup basil
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 8 tablespoons lime juice
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce,
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Peel cucumber, cut in half and with a spoon remove seeds. Thinly slice and toss with salt and place in a strainer over a bowl. Drain for 15 minutes and then rinse under cold water a drain well. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Fill a large boil with cold water and ice. Cut squid in 1/3 inch rings and half tentacles if large. Add to boiling water and cook for about 1 minute or until opaque turn off heat. Transfer to ice water with slotted spoon to stop cooking. Drain and reserve ice water. Soak rice sticks for about 6 – 8 minutes until soft. Transfer to ice water and drain well.
- In a large bowl add all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Wash herbs in several changes of cold water, drain and squeeze dry in paper towel. Coarsely chop. Add to dressing along with squid, rice sticks, red pepper, Thai chili pepper, cucumber and scallions. Toss and serve.
Alice Waters's Essentials
Her 15 must-have tools
Alice Waters's essential tools.
Bring some flare to your cookout.
Life's better with snacks.
Your new favorite Japanese dish.
A better basket.