If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Every Wednesday I take a class that lasts several hours. We have about 15 minutes for lunch after which we hike on a preserve to do field studies of whatever we studied in the morning. So whatever I "brown bag" that morning needs to be something easy to eat, healthy, and satisfying without feeling heavy. We're "enjoying" a heat wave right now, so this month my favorite is this salad. I originally put it together from things in my fridge, but now I make it with these ingredients on purpose. It's incredibly refreshing and catches envious sidelong glances every week. - TheWimpyVegetarian
Serves 1 3/4 cups
- 1/2 cup edamame beans, shelled
- 1 cup fresh corn cut from the cob, uncooked
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small plum or other meaty tomato, chopped
- 3/4 of a lime, juiced (or to taste)
- 5-6 small basil leaves, chopped
- 5-6 small mint leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss everything together and put in a container for lunch in the morning. By lunch, all the flavors will have come together beautifully and you've got a fabulous, healthy meal or side dish.
- Note: if you're making it to eat right away, let the mixture sit in a bowl for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
Good day, sunshine.