Author Notes: PF Chang's may be a chain restaurant and yes, they may serve up a very Americanized Chinese menu, but you have to admit their lettuce wraps are pretty darn good. Obviously, I've developed a slight affection toward these little lettuce cups of perfection, so you can imagine my disappointment when I discovered that there isn't a single location in NYC. Alas, I decided to develop my own version to satisfy my craving. And after several renditions, this Japanese-inspired version has become my favorite. The slight crunch of the edamame, paired with a no-nonsense punch of wasabi takes these very lunch-worthy lettuce wraps to a whole new level.
- The Brown Bag Gourmet
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup water chestnuts, diced
- 1/3 cup edamame, shelled
- 3-4 tablespoons Soyaki marinade (I like Trader Joe's Island Soyaki)
- 1 head of lettuce (any variety you prefer)
- 1 sliced green onion, for garnish
Wasabi Lime Dressing
- 1/4 cup lightly seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon wasabi paste, more to taste if you like
- juice of 1 small lime
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Heat vegetable oil in large saute pan. Add minced garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Sear chicken breasts in pan on medium heat to build a nice golden crust and reduce to medium low to finish, keeping the chicken tender and moist.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside to rest.
- Saute onions, carrots, mushrooms and water chestnuts in chicken drippings, adding additional oil if needed. Cook only a few minutes on medium low heat, so that veggies are still slightly crisp.
- Dice rested chicken into bite-size pieces and add back into the pan along with edamame.
- Reduce heat to low and finish with soyaki marinade. Allow to simmer until marinade is warmed through and chicken mixture is coated.
- Rinse and dry lettuce leaves and fill with chicken mixture. Top with sliced green onion and prepared wasabi lime dressing, to taste.
- Pack up your lettuce cups, filling and dressing. Brown bag it all and prepare to wow the office lunch crowd or your friends!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch