If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For me, kicharee - a one pot dish generally consisting of lentils and rice - comes in many forms, almost as many as there are people! This version is a Gujarati style kicharee (and even then most families have their own way). Luckily, it is a dish you can make any way you please. Though some like theirs a bit more dry - I prefer adding extra water to make it a bit more soft and adding in some spinach and tomatoes. I often take this for lunch because even at room temperature its lovely and very comforting. - Lena S.
- 1 cup Long grain Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Split Green Mung Dal (available at Indian grocers)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 medium sized yellow onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 bunch fresh spinach (chopped)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 8 cups water
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp clarified butter (ghee) or salted butter
- In a large pot add oil and chopped yellow onion, garlic and ginger. Add a couple pinches of salt and cook on medium heat until beginning to brown.
- Add tomatoes and let them blister.
- Thoroughly wash the rice and mung dal until the water is clear. Then add both the rice and mung into the pot. Add the water, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric and salt (a tsp or so).
- Bring the kicharee to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add in the spinach. Cover and let gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Uncover the kicharee and stir. Continue cooking until the water has mostly absorbed (sort of like overcooking the rice - you want a slightly risotto like texture). Salt to taste. (If you like the texture really smooth you can stir more vigorously at this point.)
- Stir in the ghee or butter. Enjoy immediately (of course) or cool and store in your tiffin for lunch!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch