Author Notes: Fried chicken is probably the most famous comfort food there is. Taking a bite of a crispy piece of chicken always makes me feel closer to home even if I'm packing a lunch and away for the day. My family LOVES chicken wings. It's so nice because I can make the wings and then season them to the taste of each family member. Some like 'em hot, some like 'em mild, some like 'em sweet & sour...it all works out great. This is a tradition to make on Sunday afternoons while watching football in the fall and winter. No picnic is the same without them. They are great hot or cold. And taking them for lunch is a real treat if there are any left....they are so irresistible. - DebbieF
- 4 pounds chicken wings
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons smokey paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 6 cups peanut or canola oil
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup Crystal hot sauce
- 1/2 cup Franks Hot Sauce
- Cut chicken wings into two pieces and remove the wing tip.
- Mix flour and seasonings together and dip the chicken into the flour mixture. Cover wings and refrigerate for at least 1 and no more than 24 hours.
- When ready to cook wings, bring oil up to 350 degrees in fryer or deep sauce pan. I like to use a deep iron skillet. Deep fry the wings for 13 minutes. You may have to cook more than one batch as you need to give the wings some room to cook. Do not stack on top of each other.
- Mix butter and hot sauces together and heat. This can be simmering while your wings are cooking. Remove wings from oil and drain on paper towels or wire rack for about one minute. Toss wings in sauce and serve. The more mild you want the wings, the less sauce you use. You can serve them plain and they are delicious that way also.
- If you are serving them for a brown bag lunch, separate into the desired amount of wings per person depending on their appetite. Place in zip sealed plastic bag and be sure to pack extra napkins!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch